Re: [LAU] Xfce, jack, and GStreamer

From: Mac <ussndmac@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 10 2012 - 15:52:36 EEST

> Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 15:05:07 -0400
> From: Don Strayer <dstrayer+lau@email-addr-hidden>
> To: linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden
> Subject: [LAU] Xfce, jack, and GStreamer
>
> I'm running Debian Sid and have just installed Xfce. I'm having trouble
> getting Xfce's audible alerts to work. As far as I can see, they're the
> only sounds on the system that want to go through GStreamer.
<snip>

First off, for the record, I've dug into the jack/gstreamer thing, but
I'm by far NOT an expert.

The way I understand it, gstreamer by default looks for the jack sink
by name i.e. System-> Capture1 etc. And the connects to it every time
it requires to output sound, then disconnects when it's done. So, when
the source is there, you can, in jack connections, re-direct it to
whatever. But, when gstreamer is done playing sound it disappears,
with it's connections.

I may be over simplifying what may be going on in your case though...

(a side note, I replaced the jack/alsa with zita/alsa connection, both
work, zita is better sound quality)