Re: [LAU] Chord finder

From: Burkhard Wölfel <versuchsanstalt@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 10 2012 - 19:49:15 EEST

Am 08.07.2012 um 21:36 schrieb Lorenzo Sutton
<lorenzofsutton@email-addr-hidden>:

> [nsfw - nsfk warning]
>
> On 08/07/12 06:11, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> [... some bullshit about academia ...] (IMHO - IIRC)
>
> [... some other bullshit about "music and emotion" ...] (IMHO - IIRC)
>
>> IIRC another reply was regarding to "it's better to know how to name
>> chords, than to say 'put one finger to that fret and another finger
>> this fret'"Full ACK, but in the beginning nobody is able to know that
>
> This is so surprising from a person who is on a linux mailing list:
> this is exactly the difference between "just open the exe file on
> windows" (mechanically do something that seems to 'get the job done'
> without trying to understand how it works) and try downloading the
> source and understanding how things work i.e. learnng.
>
> Knowing the theory means helping to learn and understand what
> phenomena (physical, psychophysical, social, cultural) are behind
> the your 'music and emotion' thing - otherwise you are mystifying
> and turning music into black magic ;)

There's nothing wrong with giving names to phenomena if we want to
talk about them, acoustic or any other. In fact it helps a lot.

Besides that: problems (or acoustic phenomena, or the warm fuzzy
feeling I get when listening to it) don't disappear when given names
or being talked about.

Except for psychotherapy maybe, you can't analyze away problems.