Re: [LAU] [OT] GNOME UI

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 12 2012 - 22:35:02 EEST

On 07/12/2012 05:32 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> "Perfection is achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to
> add, but when there is nothing left to take away” – Antoine de
> Saint-Exupery
>
> I wish more people had that in mind :)

Yeah, if all our user interfaces resembled "The Little Prince", we'd get
so much more done.

I often hear reduced functionality touted as a feature. iOS users like
to claim that not having full multitasking is actually a plus, much as
Mac users did before OS X gave it to them, and Microsoft users did
before Windows NT. I tend to view praise for the absence of a popular
feature as sitting somewhere between the sunk-cost fallacy and Stockholm
syndrome.

Personally, I dumped both GNOME and Unity last year and am pretty happy
with Xfce for coding and making music. It stays out of my way, uses less
than 5% of my screen real estate. (It's also much, much more friendly to
being controlled remotely, as I'm doing right now, than the other two.)
The Ubuntu Studio guys have come to the same conclusion in the last
year, it seems. I think it's a good one.

But if I ever have a need to use a tablet with something other than
Android, sure, I'll look at them again. And I love the search-focused UI
paradigm... on my phone.

Rob