Re: [LAU] [OT] GNOME UI

From: Rustom Mody <rustompmody@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 13 2012 - 04:40:54 EEST

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 1:05 AM, Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 07/12/2012 05:32 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> > "Perfection is achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to
> > add, but when there is nothing left to take away” – Antoine de
> > Saint-Exupery
> >
> > I wish more people had that in mind :)
>
> Yeah, if all our user interfaces resembled "The Little Prince", we'd get
> so much more done.
>
> I often hear reduced functionality touted as a feature. iOS users like
> to claim that not having full multitasking is actually a plus, much as
> Mac users did before OS X gave it to them, and Microsoft users did
> before Windows NT. I tend to view praise for the absence of a popular
> feature as sitting somewhere between the sunk-cost fallacy and Stockholm
> syndrome.
>
> Personally, I dumped both GNOME and Unity last year and am pretty happy
> with Xfce for coding and making music. It stays out of my way, uses less
> than 5% of my screen real estate. (It's also much, much more friendly to
> being controlled remotely, as I'm doing right now, than the other two.)
> The Ubuntu Studio guys have come to the same conclusion in the last
> year, it seems. I think it's a good one.
>
> But if I ever have a need to use a tablet with something other than
> Android, sure, I'll look at them again. And I love the search-focused UI
> paradigm... on my phone.
>
> Rob

My debian system's upgrades got stuck on gnome, ie it would not upgrade
basic system stuff like apt without upgrading half a GB of gnome stuff.

This was some concern so I switched to xfce removed as much gnome as I
could and reinstalled. Considering that xfce is new to me the experience
was not too unfriendly.

Then one day I find all the windows stuck in the left corner with the
buttons inaccessible.

So now I am back to gnome(3). The new default is completely unusable so I
tried 'classic.' It at least works except that half the things that used
to work have stopped working.