Re: [LAU] [Android|OT?] CamSynth - Just an experiment

From: Leigh Dyer <lsd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 26 2012 - 06:34:27 EEST

On 26/07/12 12:01 AM, SxDx wrote:
>> From: "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
>> It would be great, if Android would get more attention for audio and
>> hopefully it will become easy to hack an iPad to get Android with audio
>> software there too. :)
>
> If I may:
> there is a very big problem of latency within android.
> On my device (un-rooted) I have at best around 40ms.
> So for me, android is a no go for live stuff. I'll personnaly
> try to make my own linux-powered system to put on it and
> get rid of the android bloat completely.
> We are in 2012 dear google, linux can go much lower than that,
> the devices out there are blazzingly fast, 40ms is insane.
> But well, that's life. This is "consumer electronics" after
> all. If angry bird works...

Thankfully, Google is starting to pay some attention to this. With
Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean), latency on the Galaxy Nexus is meant to be
about 12ms:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/07/android-high-performance-audio-in-4-1-and-what-it-means-plus-libpd-goodness-today/

I have a Galaxy Nexus and 4.1, but I'm yet to find any apps that make
full use of the improved latency, so I can't say for sure how much this
helps yet, but it's still sounds like a big step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, it'll be some time before Google's efforts here filter
down to your typical Android device, since it requires attention from
device-makers, not just in terms of actually getting Jelly Bean on
devices, but also in ensuring that their hardware drivers are up to the
challenge.

Thanks
Leigh