Re: [LAU] Debian desktop news

From: rosea.grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 09 2012 - 13:23:35 EEST

On 08/09/2012 10:40 AM, david wrote:
> Debian is dropping GNOME3 as their default desktop environment, and
> going with XFCE. Why? Because they can't fit Debian+GNOME3 onto a single
> CD.
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE1NTk
>
> You may now return to your regularly-scheduled interruption.

It seems this is a choice due to lack of clear vision. Tablets and
mobile devices put the world up-side-down and we don't know how to
handle this? What to do with tablets and what to do with our Desktops?
At least it seems that Linux has missed the boat on mobile devices
(maego/ meego). Too late with adjusting to a changing world?

Gnome2 was better then XFCE, so degeneration here on the Linux Desktop ...

Tbh I'm not negative about Gnome3. It provides a clean and well
organized workspace. Much cleaner and less cluttered then Unity imho.
But yeah, how useful are those 'touchscreen features' for a Desktop with
a oldfashion mouse and keyboard. But what will my hardware looks like in
a few years?

But stepping back to XFCE, it feels like giving up all your goals for
being relevant on the Desktops and mobile devices in the real world.

Regards,
\r