Re: [LAU] [OT] Debian desktop news

From: rosea.grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 09 2012 - 13:49:04 EEST

On 08/09/2012 12:23 PM, rosea.grammostola wrote:
> On 08/09/2012 10:40 AM, david wrote:
>> Debian is dropping GNOME3 as their default desktop environment, and
>> going with XFCE. Why? Because they can't fit Debian+GNOME3 onto a single
>> CD.
>>
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE1NTk
>>
>> You may now return to your regularly-scheduled interruption.
>>

> It seems this is a choice due to lack of clear vision. Tablets and
> mobile devices put the world up-side-down and we don't know how to
> handle this? What to do with tablets and what to do with our Desktops?
> At least it seems that Linux has missed the boat on mobile devices
> (maego/ meego). Too late with adjusting to a changing world?
>
> Gnome2 was better then XFCE, so degeneration here on the Linux Desktop ...
>
> Tbh I'm not negative about Gnome3. It provides a clean and well
> organized workspace.

Also the centralized way of managing your PC and the way you can search
for the applications in Gnome3 are *much better* then in traditional
Gnome2 menus imo. The application comes to you, instead that you have to
go to the application which is in one of the plenty different submenus.

Actually, this is one of the reasons why I am planning to install Debian
with Gnome3 interface on my mothers PC. If she installs an application
it will cost here close to 15 min to find it in the Ubuntu Gnome2 menus,
if she will find it at all!

And frequently used applications are nicely displayed on the left
menubar in Gnome3.

Much cleaner and less cluttered then Unity imho.