Re: [LAU] creating open source sample libs. (Was: Re: Experiment One - For Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra. Music and a short review of the sample library)

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 16 2012 - 14:35:03 EEST

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:49 AM, Nils <list@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Am Wed, 15 Aug 2012 23:22:22 -0300
> schrieb Marcel Bonnet <marcelbonnet@email-addr-hidden>:
>
> > Hi, there.
> > What about these samples
> >
> http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/thesoundexchange/make_music/samples/library/
> > ?
> >
> > "License: You are free to use these samples as you wish, including
> > releasing them as part of a commercial work. The only restriction is
> > they must not be sold or made available 'as is' (i.e. as sampler or as
> > a sampler instrument)."
> >
> > I'm just starting with them. I think any linuxsampler user probably
> > knows, but what do you guys think of these samples? Does it meet the
> > tech and license requirements? My first bad impression is about the
> > sample format, they are all distributed as MP3 - I would consider a
> > non compressed format instead.
>

> Hello Marcel,
>
> the License means that you can't compile the samples in soundfont,
> gigastudio, kontakt etc. file. I guess the intention of the license is
> to prevent .sfz as well, although technically you could argue that the
> samples are still "as is" in sfz format, there is only a meta file
> added. But the same is true if you compress them and include metadata,
> so the case could be made for any sampler format.

if you really wanted to set things up so that many people could use them,
you could distribute them as-is with a script that generated an sfz, or as
a script that fetched them from the original site, and then generated an
sfz. the license wording though is really non-sensical, and in fact as it
is written, my interpretation would be "you cannot give these to anyone
else in the form in which you have received them ("as-is") - if you
distribute them it must be free of charge and in some OTHER format".