Re: [LAU] creating open source sample libs. (Was: Re: Experiment One - For Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra. Music and a short review of the sample library)

From: Marcel Bonnet <marcelbonnet@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 16 2012 - 16:11:26 EEST

On 16 August 2012 08:35, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:49 AM, Nils <list@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Am Wed, 15 Aug 2012 23:22:22 -0300
>> schrieb Marcel Bonnet <marcelbonnet@email-addr-hidden>:
>>
>> > Hi, there.
>> > What about these samples
>> >
>> > http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/thesoundexchange/make_music/samples/library/
>> > ?
>> >
>> > "License: You are free to use these samples as you wish, including
>> > releasing them as part of a commercial work. The only restriction is
>> > they must not be sold or made available 'as is' (i.e. as sampler or as
>> > a sampler instrument)."
>> >
>> > I'm just starting with them. I think any linuxsampler user probably
>> > knows, but what do you guys think of these samples? Does it meet the
>> > tech and license requirements? My first bad impression is about the
>> > sample format, they are all distributed as MP3 - I would consider a
>> > non compressed format instead.
>>

>> Hello Marcel,
>>
>> the License means that you can't compile the samples in soundfont,
>> gigastudio, kontakt etc. file. I guess the intention of the license is
>> to prevent .sfz as well, although technically you could argue that the
>> samples are still "as is" in sfz format, there is only a meta file
>> added. But the same is true if you compress them and include metadata,
>> so the case could be made for any sampler format.
>

> if you really wanted to set things up so that many people could use them,
> you could distribute them as-is with a script that generated an sfz, or as a
> script that fetched them from the original site, and then generated an sfz.
> the license wording though is really non-sensical, and in fact as it is
> written, my interpretation would be "you cannot give these to anyone else in
> the form in which you have received them ("as-is") - if you distribute them
> it must be free of charge and in some OTHER format".

Thanks, folks. This topic is really making me understand the legal and
tech problems in another way.
I think I did not paid enough attention to the "as-is" problem,
because I found - can't remember where - some brass and strings GIG
files, using the mentioned London Philharmonia samples...

--
Marcel Bonnet