Re: [LAU] [arch-general] Lennart Poettering on udev-systemd

From: Gabriel M. Beddingfield <gabrbedd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 17 2012 - 14:57:19 EEST

On 08/14/2012 01:07 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>> https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2012-August/023389.html
>>>
>>> Mostly I just read arch-general and try to understand arguments. I do,
>>> however, find this contribution the thread to which you refer very
>>> saddening.
>>> It is not the way I interpret the vast majority of contributions here.
>>>
>>> "Let's do it. It's about time we lose these ML trolls.
>>> --
>>> Gaetan"
>>>
>>> Perhaps we should all just shut up and do as we are told.
[snip]

Sure, systemd sucks.

...But so does sysvinit. That's why every distro has their own
non-standard, customized init script wrappers that you're not ever
supposed to invoke directly.

Have you ever actually tried to get SysV Init scripts to work out the
dependencies among themselves? Even if you get the non-standardized
syntax right... most SysV implementations don't even support it (e.g.
Debian).

systemd offers solutions to this that result in faster boot-time, a more
reliable boot (fewer race conditions), and (eventually) less system
init-script maintenance time.

SysV only offers that "after all the countless hours of hand crafting
these damn scripts and hand-sorting them into the right order -- if you
don't touch them then they won't break."

At some point you have to turn a deaf ear to nay-sayers and move on.

-gabriel