Re: [LAU] [LAD] Kontakt sampler format (and others like EXS24)

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Sep 01 2012 - 05:53:31 EEST

On Sat, 2012-09-01 at 12:18 +1000, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> On Sat, September 1, 2012 11:58 am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Sat, 2012-09-01 at 11:10 +1000, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> >> Another example, Behringer ships Audacity with every single product
> >> they sell. Clearly the global market leader for audio production
> >> hardware sees some value in open source too. We can get an idea of
> >> their market base by looking at their end of year or quarterly
> >> financial reports.
> >
> > From Behringer I own a Modulizer Pro, ADA 8000 and an Eurorack UB2442FX.
> > I never noticed even a hint to Audacity by a slip of paper. I don't
> > claim that there isn't such a hint, but I never noticed it. You
> > shouldn't expect that customers take care about all the slip of paper,
> > stickers, advertising brochures etc., that ship with a Behringer
> > product. I don't think that I'm the only one thinking that those things
> > are waste. Who does put on a Behringer sticker on something? Even if
> > some people should notice that there is a hint to Audacity, that doesn't
> > mean that they attach more value to it, than to a sticker.
> >

> It's called extrapolation. In the marketing industry these are the metrics
> that get people interested. We don't have to go as far as most marketing
> companies and "massage" the results in our favour (lie). All we have to do
> is extrapolate the best guess of what the numbers are and provide the info
> for everyone else to make their own educated decision.
>
> Given that we have so many metrics to work with now there is absolutely no
> reason we can't provide a very strong case for global adoption potential
> that should get the attention of any serious marketing and sales rep and
> rebalance the discussion in our favour for projects like this one.
>
> NI may be wary of providing a Linux version because they think there is
> not a big enough market but if the numbers show that there are several
> million people globally who use Linux Audio Tools they might reconsider.
>
> Also because Linux tools are considered to be high end and challenging
> that can be made to work in our favour too. The Music Group own both
> Behringer and Midas covering completely different ends of the market. If
> they are happy to ship open source tools why wouldn't a company like NI be
> interested in making their products available to the same userbase?
>
> The only thing stopping them is the perception that the Linux Audio user
> base is a small global market.

In Germany you need to win more professional engineers using Linux, then
automatically all the other people pay more attention to Linux. If you
can't win more professionals, then all the others won't pay attention
too.
Talk to
http://www.studio-presse.de/2.0.html
http://www.tonmeister.de/index.php?p=impressum
too. They don't ignore Linux, but it's no that important for most of
them. Make famous engineers and musicians saying "I'm using Linux",
that's how market works. Customer acquisition is a full time job.
I've seen how a former friend started and today is one of the market
leaders for professional studio microphones. He isn't a penguin, he's a
shark. Most of us are penguins :).

Regards,
Ralf