Re: [LAU] [LAD] Kontakt sampler format (and others like EXS24)

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 01 2012 - 07:52:19 EEST

On Sat, September 1, 2012 2:21 pm, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-09-01 at 14:02 +1000, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> Go to an AV trade show, look at the software and hardware solutions
>> that are being presented and tell me if there is anything that you
>> cannot find a solution for in the Linux toolset.
>
> The professional:
> "And now I need to use my Antares Auto-Tune or a Linux equivalent that
> allows a similar workflow, to finish my Katey Perry production. I'll
> call Patrick to explain me, how I can use it with Ardour on the Linux
> machine he present me." ;)
>
> The amateur:
> "What distro should I use, what version? What printer should I buy? Why
> can't I use my RME card, completely with a GUI, but need to use ALSA
> mixer? Why do I have to act on my own responsibility? If I ask the
> community how to get the perfect loudness-war mix, why do they call me a
> troll and send links to Bob Katz?"
>
> We Linux audio users are a minority.

A substantial minority with a growing global presence. The Linux and open
source world is not for everyone. Nothing wrong with that, but the idea
that there is no market is completely wrong. It's just an untapped market
almost entirely due to years of concerted effort to lock us out of the
mainstream conversation.

There are companies that explicitly tell their publishers what to write
and who to advertise. They spend a lot of money on a continuous mass
marketing campaign. Considering that we have been shut out of the global
debate for so many years we are making a significant amount of progress to
the point where all the major movie production houses run on Linux these
days. In fact after seeing the products that are on display at the recent
trade shows it appears that a lot of them are already using Linux and are
just keeping quiet about it. Probably because they don't want to rock the
boat with the publishers of most mainstream media who are torn between
taking money from their cash cows and covering the industry in detail.

If valve is prepared to port Steam to Linux native then NI shouldn't be
concerned about releasing their already working software.

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/

BTW, it's ironic that Native Instruments doesn't run natively on Linux...

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd