Re: [LAU] Too many xruns

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 05 2012 - 22:41:54 EEST

On 09/05/2012 09:24 PM, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

> Xrunning system says:
>
> 0 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
> HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7e20000 irq 70
> 1 [M1010 ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 1010
> M Audio Delta 1010 at 0xa040, irq 16
> 2 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
> HDA NVidia at 0xf7080000 irq 17
>
> Fine system says:
>
> 0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
> HDA Intel at 0xfbff8000 irq 30
> 1 [M1010 ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 1010
> M Audio Delta 1010 at 0xec00, irq 17
>
> I'm using the Delta 1010 cards on each system with Jack & Ardour.

Hello Kevin, thanks for the results!

Ok, that looks good, so it's about a Delta 1010 card which uses the
snd_ice1712 kernel module.

>> cat /proc/interrupts
> 16: 56322 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ahci, ehci_hcd:usb1, firewire_ohci, snd_ice1712, nvidia

There you go, looks kinda busy there. Looks a bit like the situation on
my notebook:

  16: 320312 30 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb3, mmc0,
firewire_ohci, jmb38x_ms:slot0, eth1, nvidia

But I manage to use to run a FireWire audio card just fine on this
notebook so there's still hope for your Delta 1010 ;)

> Fine system says:
> 17: 0 0 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ICE1712

Here it's sitting on it's own interrupt so it'll probably run fine

>> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
>
> Xrunning system says:
>
> ondemand
> ondemand
> ondemand
> ondemand
> ondemand
> ondemand
> ondemand
> ondemand

Nice, 4 cores and hyperthreading? Or really 8 cores? But the ondemand
governor might be a culprit (I say *might*, I'm still not 100% sure in
how far the ondemand scaling governor affects JACK's performance).

>> More information on tweaking your setup:
>> http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=system_configuration
>
> Excellent resource. I was also going to try installing the CCRMA
> RT kernel and any "accessories" it might require.

Then also install rtirq (or rtirq-init) and check the section in the
Wiki on rtirq. Make sure you put snd_ice1712 in the list of softirqs
that need to get prio. Put it first or second in the list. This will
free it from the burden of having to share its hardware interrupt with
all the other stuff. You could also try moving the Delta 1010 to another
slot, if possible a slot with a free IRQ. that would be the best option.

Best,

Jeremy