Re: [LAU] Too many xruns

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 05 2012 - 22:54:54 EEST

On 09/05/2012 12:41 PM, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 09/05/2012 09:24 PM, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
>>
>> Xrunning system says:
>>
>> 0 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
>> HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7e20000 irq 70
>> 1 [M1010 ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 1010
>> M Audio Delta 1010 at 0xa040, irq 16
>> 2 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
>> HDA NVidia at 0xf7080000 irq 17
>>
>> Fine system says:
>>
>> 0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
>> HDA Intel at 0xfbff8000 irq 30
>> 1 [M1010 ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 1010
>> M Audio Delta 1010 at 0xec00, irq 17
>>
>> I'm using the Delta 1010 cards on each system with Jack & Ardour.
>>

> Hello Kevin, thanks for the results!
>
> Ok, that looks good, so it's about a Delta 1010 card which uses the
> snd_ice1712 kernel module.
>
>>> cat /proc/interrupts
>> 16: 56322 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ahci, ehci_hcd:usb1,
>> firewire_ohci, snd_ice1712, nvidia
>
> There you go, looks kinda busy there. Looks a bit like the situation on
> my notebook:
>
> 16: 320312 30 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb3, mmc0, firewire_ohci,
> jmb38x_ms:slot0, eth1, nvidia
>
> But I manage to use to run a FireWire audio card just fine on this
> notebook so there's still hope for your Delta 1010 ;)
>

>> Fine system says:
>> 17: 0 0 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ICE1712
>>

> Here it's sitting on it's own interrupt so it'll probably run fine
>
>>> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
>>
>> Xrunning system says:
>>
>> ondemand
>> ondemand
>> ondemand
>> ondemand
>> ondemand
>> ondemand
>> ondemand
>> ondemand
>>

> Nice, 4 cores and hyperthreading? Or really 8 cores? But the ondemand
> governor might be a culprit (I say *might*, I'm still not 100% sure in
> how far the ondemand scaling governor affects JACK's performance).
>
>>> More information on tweaking your setup:
>>> http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=system_configuration
>>
>> Excellent resource. I was also going to try installing the CCRMA
>> RT kernel and any "accessories" it might require.
>>

> Then also install rtirq (or rtirq-init) and check the section in the
> Wiki on rtirq. Make sure you put snd_ice1712 in the list of softirqs
> that need to get prio. Put it first or second in the list. This will
> free it from the burden of having to share its hardware interrupt with
> all the other stuff. You could also try moving the Delta 1010 to another
> slot, if possible a slot with a free IRQ. that would be the best option.

If you add the Planet CCRMA repository to your yun configuration
installing the meta package "planetccrma-core" should bring in all the
needed goodies, I think. That includes rtirq, and the default
configuration of Fedora's jack, rtirq and the rt patched kernel should
have all the right irq priorities, etc.

-- Fernando