Re: [LAU] Too many xruns

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 06 2012 - 08:28:40 EEST

On Wed, September 5, 2012 12:24 pm, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

>> cat /proc/interrupts
>
> Xrunning system says:
>
> CPU0 CPU1 CPU2 CPU3 CPU4 CPU5
> CPU6 CPU7

> 16: 56322 0 0 0 0 0
> 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ahci, ehci_hcd:usb1, firewire_ohci,
> snd_ice1712, nvidia

That would give me xruns too. I was able to change slots. Also try to keep
some distance between the video card and the audio card. (if you can) See
if you can set IRQ in the bios for that slot to something else if there is
only one. I find the same thing with USB audio. I have to find a USB plug
on my laptop that does not share irq with anything else and only plug the
audio IF in that one plug.

> Fine system says:
>

> 17: 0 0 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi
> ICE1712

Nice.

>> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
>
> Xrunning system says:
>
> ondemand
> ondemand
> ondemand
> ondemand
> ondemand
> ondemand
> ondemand
> ondemand

What may help if you don't want to use performance is to set it to user
and then set a lower than top speed. I seem to get less problems setting
my system to 50% speed than with the (faster) ondemand setting.

cpufreq-set and cpufreq-info are great to play with this stuff. the -info
one will tell you what frequencies you can choose from. I found choosing
the exact frequency didn't always work, slightly higher or lower would
though. Play with it. Read the man page. My laptop runs at 1.6Ghz, but
also has 1.33, 1.06 and .8. I can do a lot more than I would think at
800Mhz as it turns out.

rtirq can help. If used wrong it can make things worse... for example the
stock setting is bad for FW or USB audio IFs.

It comes with the snd first or second. as someone else says in another
message put snd_ice1712 and then snd after. This will put your internal IF
in it's proper place, second. I do the same with USB cards. I find out
which USB plug has no other irqs with it (USB3 on mine) and put :
usb3 snd usb
as the order. This puts my external audio first, then the internal crap
audio and then whatever other usb stuff there is (in a laptop that
includes webcam in the lid and SD reader and maybe other things too...
take a look through dmesg for all the stuff that is USB)

Be aware that putting: snd-ice1712 snd
will put all that other stuff on irq 16 between your ice and your internal
card and you may wish to explicitly make them lower. Check your priorities
after you have it going:
ps -eLo pid,cls,rtprio,pri,nice,cmd | grep -i irq

Look at the third column over.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net