Re: [LAU] Too many xruns

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 06 2012 - 20:02:11 EEST

On 6 September 2012 at 8:43, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > > Xrunning system says:
> > >
> > > CPU0 CPU1 CPU2 CPU3 CPU4 CPU5 CPU6 CPU7
> > > 16: 56322 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> > > IO-APIC-fasteoi ahci, ehci_hcd:usb1, firewire_ohci, snd_ice1712, nvidia
> >
> > That would give me xruns too.
>
> OK. I see it now. I've never had to fight the interrupt problem
> before.
>
> > (if you can) See if you can set IRQ in the bios for that slot
> > to something else if there is only one.
>
> I'll look at the manual for my MB and see what I can do.

I did a search for "irq" on this website

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/P8Z68-DELUXE%2FGEN3/Manual/263040?page=91

and found a page (2-14) that lists the (non-alterable???) IRQ
assignments for my motherboard. The good news is that one of
the legacy PCI slots has less stuff on the IRQ. The bad news
is that one of the PCI slots has lots of stuff on that IRQ.

Looking at IRQ 16 above, my nVidia shows up. It's PCiE x16,
and my motherboard seems to have 3 of those slots, with one slot
being on a different IRQ. I suspect moving the video card might
help, right?

Basically, my strategy would be to disable drivers I don't use.
For instance, I don't have any firewire gear. Next, I'd move
anything I could to a slot using a different IRQ than the one
I want to reserve for the Delta 1010. Seem like a good plan?

Thanks!

P.S.: I had this system custom built for audio work. If/when
        I get this working, I'll provide feedback to my system
        builder as to what works well. I'll also post my solution
        here.

--
Kevin