Re: [LAU] PCIe audio gear [was: Too many xruns]

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 07 2012 - 06:35:19 EEST

>> On Thu, 2012-09-06 at 10:30 -0700, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
>
>> > Looks like the [RME] HDSPe is a PCIe card allowing connection
>> > between the computer and an external Multiface, Multiface
>> > II or Digiface. It looks like the HDSPe retails for about
>> > $550US and a Multiface II runs for about $950US. I'd need
>> > two of the Multiface II units. Those units are listed in the
>> > ALSA pages, which is good news.
>> >
>> > It's *REALLY* nice to see an available solution. But, it does
>> > seem just a bit out of my price range. Of course, that's my
>> > problem. ;-)

I just had to look... and sure enough they do exist:
http://ca.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Slot-Extension/PCI-Express-to-PCI-Adapter-Card~PEX1PCI1

May require some case modification, but the connector on the 1010 looks
low enough maybe not. A spacer would help hold the card in place. The
spdiff connections would be covered though. In some of the cases I have
seen the card hold down is a separate bar and could be mounted higher.
That is not a too outrageous mod if you look at something like this:
http://www.jrigg.co.uk/elec/interface.html

The other plan... perhaps more outrageous is to put both cards in the old
computer and use netjack to turn it into an Ethernet audio interface... I
won't even try to explain that one... though if I had the systems I
wouldn't mind trying it out.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net