[LAU] PCIe audio gear [was: Too many xruns]

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 07 2012 - 05:21:10 EEST

On 7 September 2012 at 4:15, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-09-06 at 10:30 -0700, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

> > Looks like the [RME] HDSPe is a PCIe card allowing connection
> > between the computer and an external Multiface, Multiface
> > II or Digiface. It looks like the HDSPe retails for about
> > $550US and a Multiface II runs for about $950US. I'd need
> > two of the Multiface II units. Those units are listed in the
> > ALSA pages, which is good news.
> >
> > It's *REALLY* nice to see an available solution. But, it does
> > seem just a bit out of my price range. Of course, that's my
> > problem. ;-)
>
> Because it's not in my price range too, I bought a HDSPe AIO B-stock,
> resp. customer return, for PCIe x1 slot + a cheap Behringer ADA8000, an
> ADAT device = 2 + 8 = 10 audio IOs, but the 2 of the card aren't in sync
> with the 8 from ADAT, when synced via ADAT only. However, RME allows to
> add equipment step by step, you don't need to buy everything at once.
> The HDSPe AIO does work with kernel >= 2.6.39.1, resp. ALSA >= 1.0.24.
> The hdspmixer GUI is ok, hdspconf doesn't work, but isn't needed.

Ah, I didn't know that non-RME gear would work with RME. I
suppose I should have thought through the ADAT interconnection
options. That's a nice way to go. Full sync across all channels
would be a must for me tho.

At times, like now, I second guess myself and wonder if I should
have just bought the bullet, and gone with RME in the first
place.

Cheerio....

--
Kevin