Re: [LAU] MIDI keyboard not recognized

From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 09 2012 - 23:19:29 EEST

On Sunday 09 September 2012 20:54, jy wrote:

> 2012/9/9 Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@email-addr-hidden>
>
> > On Sunday 09 September 2012 18:57, jy wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I've recently installed ubuntustudio 12.04 and after trying it out, i
> > > discovered that my M-Audio Oxygen8 v2 MIDI USB (yes it is class
> >
> > compliant)
> >
> > > keyboard is not recognised.
> > > It was recognised out of the box on my previous setup based on ubuntu
> > > 10.04.
> > >
> > > By not recognized, i mean that it doesn't appear in qjackctl
> > > connexions. thus i cant route the connexions correctly...
> > > Below are some logs !
> > >
> > > How come it doesn't work any more ? How can i correct this ?
> > >
> > > Thanks a lot
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > jy
> > >
> > > ####LOGS####
> > > $cat /proc/asound/cards
> > > 0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
> > > HDA Intel at 0xf0400000 irq 45
> >
> > It's not showing up in the cards list above, which seems to indicate that
> > the
> > snd_usb_audio module isn't loaded, or you've forgotten to switch the
> > keyboard
> > on. Have a look in lsmod to see if the module is showing there.
> >
> > If not, load it with.
> > sudo modprobe snd_usb_audio
> >
> > Then see if the keyboard shows up in the cards list.
> >
> > Nigel.

> So :
>
> * module snd_usb_audio is already loaded
> * after running aj2midid -e, keyboard is still missing from ALSA and JACK
> tabs...
>
> It's true that I was surprised that the keyboard did not appear in
> /proc/asound/cards but as it does appear in amidi -l, i'm thinking that
> alsa is correctly recognizing the keyboard... Could i be wrong?
> Thing is I'm not sure if this is an ALSA issue or jack/qjackctl one.
>
> how could i troubleshoot this ?
>
> jy

Please send replies to the list and put your replies at the bottom of the
post, which makes it easier to follow.

Ok. It does need to be listed as a card in /proc/asound/cards, just as a
webcam with built in mike (although not a soundcard as such) will have a card
entry and uses snd_usb_audio. So why isn't it there?

Does it need firmware loading? I know some M-audio keyboards do. My Evolution
keyboard doesn't, but someone with the same as yours will say.

Have you tried it in a different USB slot if you have spare ones? Not in a
hub as some USB things don't like hubs.

The only other thing I can think of is that both the sound card and the
keyboard are trying to grab card0 and the soundcard is winning, thus the
keyboard can't use it. Now I've seen this the other way round due to the USB
coming up early in the boot process and my keyboard grabbing card0 leaving no
place for the actual soundcard.

This is a very old problem, but may for some reason be happening in your case,
so I suggest putting some index options in /etc/modprobe.d/options, which
will at least confirm if that is the problem or not. See below.

options snd_hda_intel index=0
options snd_usb-audio index=1

Best to reboot and then see if /proc/asound/cards lists both.

If not I'm a bit perplexed.

Nigel.