Re: [LAU] [off-list] Buying a new soundcard.

From: Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 11 2012 - 13:12:43 EEST

On 11 September 2012 11:47, Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On 11 September 2012 11:24, Florian Paul Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> Interesting. Did you perform or have sources for measurements? Or is this a
>> technical limitation of USB MIDI? And if so, could you elaborate on that?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Flo

>>> [off-list] since my provider's server is blackhole listed and mails
>>> don't come through the list at the moment.
>>>
>>> USB MIDI devices do cause too much jitter. Further to my RME's PCIe
>>> MIDI, I use two TerraTec EWX 24/96 PCI cards, for MIDI only. Such a
>>> TerraTec or any other simple stereo Envy24 card does cost around 30
>>> EUR/USD at Ebay and does protect against too much MIDI jitter. For
>>> serious MIDI work one hw interface anyway isn't enough.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ralf
>>>

> I already have one of those super cheap MIDI USB devices, and in
> addition to what Ralf is saying above, which I can't confirm or deny,
> it's been nothing but trouble.
>
> As for eBay, yeah, I noticed already yesterday that there are always a
> bunch of the Delta 1010 for sale, but for big stuff like this, not
> many sellers ship abroad, and I live in Europe.
>
> Regards,
> Arve

Things popped off-list there for a bit, see above for some stuff Ralf
provided. I just started wondering if I could even use the 1010 if I
got that, since I'm not sure if I have any PCI ports at all. I have a
few express ports, but lspci only shows this about regular PCI:

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 92)

Not sure what that means. I have a firewire port though, maybe that is
actually the way I should be looking.

Arve