Re: [LAU] First impressions of MusE 2.0

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 13 2012 - 18:08:22 EEST

Thanks for the informative text Dan!

Am 10.09.2012 21:47, schrieb Dan MacDonald:

> the full-on icon overload of Rosegarden.

While I agree that in terms of aesthetics RG is not the crown of
creation I still think, that it is better to have a lot of icons to
handle a lot of functionality than to be confronted with a good-looking
concept of a UI-designer who actually believes, he/she knows what I want
to do and how in any "reasonable" scenario ;-)

> A3 also currently lacks the ability
> to set gradual changes in tempo

Well, that is not quite correct. Yo can set as many tempo-changes as
needed for gradual changes resolution only limited by BPM-ticks. This
method can be a bit crummy if you want to slide tempo frequently in a
track but it is in fact working OK. The only thing one could miss
regarding tempo in A3 would be some "swing/humanize" automagic I'd say...

> Enough about MIDI, what about audio? Reading the Ardour forums and
> having spent much time in its irc channel, I know that one of the most
> frequent feature requests is integrated wave editing

To be frank: I do not understand, why this feature seems to be in so big
need for some Ardour users. The non-destructive editing in A3s regions
easily competes with any wave-editor not only in the Linux-camp.
Export/consolidation-automatisms add a lot of the feel of a destructive
editor too. In a word: I use A3 as my main wave-editor already whenever
I need more than just a fast cut of a fieldrecording. The only editors I
also really use are MHWaveedit (unbeatable lean and stable) and yeah...
well forget... ;-)

> and I'm sure Rui
> has had more than a few requests for such a feature in qtractor too so
> I'd say one of the biggest selling points of MusE is that it would
> seem to be the only Linux DAW to offer integrated audio editing.

really?

To be frank once more: the audiotracks of both Muse and RG are 1995 at
best. And I did not see big progress in that field in both in many
years. Though Robert himself makes great recording of hand-played music
with Muse I still think that the audiotracks in Muse are barely usable.
Try to cut regions and loop them, try to cut and arrange some 12-16
tracks as it can be easily done in Qtractor and the same as easy and
with even much more extra-powers in Ardour.

Anybody remembering Audioheads Orion back in 2001 or so? I do not see
much more regarding audiotracks in Muse and RG.

best regards

HZN