[LAU] hdsp not happy with recent kernels

From: Peter Lutek <peter@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 13 2012 - 19:29:10 EEST

greetings!

perhaps some of you use RME hdsp hardware. i'm wondering if you're running into
issues like mine with recent kernels....

i've got an hdsp multiface hanging off an expresscard adapter in a T520 thinkpad.
here's what's going on:

hdspmixer locks up soon after starting, saying, "HwDep ioctl failed. Metering
stopped"

once that has happened, if i try to start jack, i get this:

plutek@email-addr-hidden:~$ jackd -dalsa -D -Phw:0,0 -Chw:0,0
jackdmp 1.9.9
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2012 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
control device hw:0
control device hw:0
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio0
creating alsa driver ... hw:0,0|hw:0,0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to capture-only mode
Cannot initialize driver
JackServer::Open failed with -1
Failed to open server

alternately, if i start jack after a reboot *without* first starting hdspmixer,
it runs for a few minutes (variable), then fails thusly:

plutek@email-addr-hidden:~$ jackd -dalsa -D -Phw:0,0 -Chw:0,0
jackdmp 1.9.9
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2012 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
control device hw:0
control device hw:0
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio0
creating alsa driver ... hw:0,0|hw:0,0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
ALSA: poll time out, polled for 31999183 usecs
JackAudioDriver::ProcessAsync: read error, stopping...

i'm on the aptosid distribution.
alsa-tools-gui is 1.0.25-2
although running jackd says "jackdmp 1.9.9", my installed debian package is
jackd2 1.9.8~dfsg.4+20120529git007cdc37-4
alsa is 1.0.23+dfsg-4

and here's the clincher:

kernels up to and including 3.1-6 make it all work fine (with the same versions
of other things as listed above). however, kernels 3.2.0-3 and higher all cause
the issues reported above.

so, i guess the bottom-line question is whether other folks are running hdsp
hardware successfully on 3.2 or more recent kernels, or whether we're all stuck
at 3.1 for now?

amusing side-note: i'm trying to use a wacom tablet, which is fine with the 3.2
and higher kernels, but not with the 3.1 -- haha!!

please let me know if you have any relevant observations on this; it'd be nice to
have some reassurance that my multiface isn't seeing the beginning of the end!

thanks in advance.... cheers!
.pltk.