Re: [LAU] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

From: Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 10 2012 - 13:26:39 EEST

Hi Louigi,

On 10/10/12 10:24, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Hey fellas!
>
> Would like to present an article I've written. Mostly wrote it to start
> a conversation and hear what others have to say on the subject.
>
> http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux&a=linux_progress
>
> You can comment here or on my textboard (which does not require
> registration).

Interesting read.

Just to add some spice to the discussion...

You seem not to mention audio hardware at all. Maybe it was out of your
scope, but isn't it still a big issue, especially for linux laptop users?

Firewire, pcmcia, expresscard seem to be at various stages of extinction
(?).So while the remarkable and commendable efforts of FFADO give
promising results (e.g. RME FF400 and FF800 'full support!!) we run the
risk of not having firewire on machines any more (be it with an inbuilt
port or an expresscard/pcmcia thingy).

USB aiming at world domination, linux was probably the first OS to
support USB 3.0 but... we still barely have a multichannel usb card
which is USB 2.0 (or do we?)

Example: still to mention RME-land: they claim USB 2.0 "class
compliance" for the UCX, this is so that you can connect your € 1,200
card "to an Apple iPad or iPad2!" (sic - wtf?) of course "It won't be
comparable to the RME drivers in terms of latency, though."

I know this always raises heated debate, but is Linux Audio moving
forward? The situation with hardware seems a vary unstable fluctuating
situation.

Lorenzo.

Lorenzo.