Re: [LAU] [LAD] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

From: rosea.grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 10 2012 - 21:38:20 EEST

On 10/10/2012 08:04 PM, J. Liles wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 1:24 AM, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden
> <mailto:louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>> wrote:
>
> Hey fellas!
>
> Would like to present an article I've written. Mostly wrote it to
> start a conversation and hear what others have to say on the subject.
>
> http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux&a=linux_progress
> <http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux&a=linux_progress>
>
> You can comment here or on my textboard (which does not require
> registration).
>

> Seems like a pretty negative outlook overall. Progress has definitely
> been slower than many of us would like, but that's understandable
> considering that most Linux Audio programs are maintained by single
> developers (with lots of other projects) or small groups. I'm surprised
> you didn't mention Luppp,
Luppp is, to use the word again, very 'potential' but in early alpha
state afaik. At this point it doesn't seem to be a development where
users can really benefit from.

NON software is a great improvement in the past couple of years. But
also concerning the NON software, it's questionable whether it already
crossed the border of 'ready for production'. Non-mixer seems to be
quite there already. NSM is close, with nsm support in Jalv I think (my)
life will be pretty good. Non-sequencer is a great app for composing and
it's close, but has imo just too many little issues to be able to be
really productive with it. I understand this is a matter of manpower.

A great improvement is the RT kernel being by default in distros like
Debian. SetBfree has a lot of potential too ;)