Re: [LAU] [LAD] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 10 2012 - 23:39:54 EEST

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 1:24 AM, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hey fellas!
>
> Would like to present an article I've written. Mostly wrote it to start a
> conversation and hear what others have to say on the subject.
>
> http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux&a=linux_progress
>
> You can comment here or on my textboard (which does not require
> registration).
>

> --
> Louigi Verona
> http://www.louigiverona.ru/

Great article! My perspective:

1. I'm strictly a studio musician - my product is digital audio files
and as much of the process as is "humanly" possible is done
algorithmically. Composition and synthesis in particular are done via
code. I don't try to build software for other users, and I don't do
live performances.

2. Given that, I can work on almost any platform, though I'm a
long-time Linux user, have never used a Mac and boot my laptop into
Windows 7 maybe once or twice a week.

Where is Linux audio in general going? I think the same place all
media creation software is going. End-user software will *always* be
encumbered by patents, marketing and usability constraints and the
need for granfalloons like Apple, Yamaha, Microsoft, etc. to provide
returns to their stockholders. Two of the major community distros,
Ubuntu and Fedora, have digital audio workstation respins available,
but openSUSE doesn't. I think the days of independent audio distros
like Studio 64 are numbered. The openSUSE-based Jack Audio Distro
(JAD) died years ago. AVLinux announced a new release, which will be
its last. And Studio 64 is "pivoting".

Pixar built a massive empire by embedding Linux and open source tools
into its workflow. So, for that matter, have Google and Amazon. But
Linux audio as a *business*? I don't think so. Hell, I don't even
think Canonical can make a profit with the Ubuntu *desktop*. It really
is about building products that millions of people love to use on a
daily basis and which the supplier can earn a profit.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench: http://znmeb.github.com/Computational-Journalism-Publishers-Workbench/