Re: [LAU] Too many xruns

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 11 2012 - 10:07:17 EEST

On 10/11/2012 08:33 AM, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

>> More information on tweaking your setup:
>> http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=system_configuration
>
> I've been trying to reduce my xrun troubles. I'm down from > 10
> xruns per second to something more like 10 xruns per minute. Still
> not good, but better.
>
> I used the realTimeConfigQuickScan.pl script to diagnose things.
>
> https://code.google.com/p/realtimeconfigquickscan/
>
> I'm down to three things reported as "not good" now.
>
> 1. Checking checking sysctl inotify max_user_watches... < 524288 - not good
> increase max_user_watches by adding 'fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 524288'
> to /etc/sysctl.conf and rebooting
> For more information, see
> http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=system_configuration#sysctl.conf
>
> Looking at the link there's a comment, "...it remains very
> unclear ... if adjusting this value actually does anything at
> all." So, I haven't altered this. Does anyone have
> experience saying that this helped them?

Hello Kevin,

I've added this comment after having asked the exact same question at my
LAC2011 workshop. Nobody in the audience could acknowledge that changing
the inotify setting helped anything.

> 2. chrt: failed to set pid 0's policy: Operation not permitted
> Checking the ability to prioritize processes with chrt... no - not good
> Could not assign a 80 rtprio value. Set up limits.conf.
> For more information, see
> http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=system_configuration#limits.conf
>
> I did make the changes outlined at the above link. I still
> get the above report. I'm going to guess that I need some
> real-time support from the kernel to make this work. Which
> brings me to
>
> 3. Kernel with Real-Time Preemption... not found - not good
> Kernel without real-time capabilities found
> For more information, see
> http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=system_configuration#installing_a_real-time_kernel
>
> First I looked at this link:
> http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=system_configuration#the_kernel
> Specifically, I looked at the threadirqs kernel option.
>
> grep -e CONFIG_IRQ_FORCED_THREADING=y -e CONFIG_PREEMPT=y /boot/config-`uname -r`
> produces "CONFIG_IRQ_FORCED_THREADING=y" and I think that's good.

No it's not, unless it also outputs CONFIG_PREEMPT=y. if it doesn't than
your kernel isn't preemtible and in that case I doubt if threadirqs or
even chrt works (no expert on this).

> I altered my /boot/grub2/grub.cfg file to include
> "threadirqs" on the stanza for my kernel, like so, but
> without all the line breaks.
>
> linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.5-2.fc17.x86_64
> root=UUID=77edf07a-a49b-48dd-82c8-2f9e5c8691b7 ro nomodeset
> rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0 SYSFONT=True KEYTABLE=us rd.luks=0
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8 rhgb quiet threadirqs nouveau.modeset=0
> rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau

Slightly OT, but wow, that's a whole lot of kernel options ;) I only use
two or three.

> "uname -r" reports "3.5.5-2.fc17.x86_64" but I don't have
> threaded IRQs.
>
> Any ideas on how to improve my IRQs? They are not alterable in the BIOS.
>
> Thanks....

Check if your kernel is preemtible (at least, I think that might be a
probable cause) or install a kernel that is preemtible (there's no
real-time kernel available for FC17?). But like I said, I'm no expert on
the different preemption models so I could be completely wrong.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this matter chimes in.

Best,

Jeremy