Re: [LAU] [LAD] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

From: David Olofson <david@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 13 2012 - 21:50:12 EEST

On Friday 12 October 2012, at 18.24.36, Dan MacDonald <allcoms@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 4:19 PM, David Olofson <david@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > On Friday 12 October 2012, at 10.27.39, Nils Gey <list@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > make more music
> > > make it public
> > > make other people want to use the same tools as you
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > On that note, some stuff I've done for one of my current projects, Kobo
> > II;
> >
> > chip themed music and sound effects:
> > http://soundcloud.com/david-olofson
>
> Cool stuff David - even cooler that it was created in Kate with your own
> custom synth! Well done - you've maxed out your music geek points! ;)

Thanks! Been working hard on that. ;-D

Seriously, I was planning on using a MIDI sequencer for the music part (done
that in the past) - but it's like the ever so slight improvement on the
recording/editing part doesn't make up for all the overhead.

Also, it turned out typing note numbers and code is not as cumbersome as it
may seem at first. I guess one needs to be able to "hear" things before
playing them to some extent, but it works ok for me at least. After all, many
of the C64 legends used similar methods, and typing music in as MML was
apparently the way it was generally done for arcade games in Japan. And of
course, once upon a time, people used paper...! ;-)

> I'll have to try Kobo II as it looks like fun. Was Namco's Assault an
> inspiration?

Well, it's still just a playable tech demo, but I'm hoping it can entertain
for a moment already. :-)

It wasn't strictly inspired by any single game, though it obviously has some
of the core logic ideas from Kobo Deluxe/XKobo. (Bases constructed out of
modules in Campaign Mode at least...) I'm basically aiming for a bit of FPS
feel in a top-down 2D shooter setting.

Planning on maps a bit like those in Assault as well! In the current Campaign
Mode you start taking out bases at high altitude, and the idea is that you get
closer and closer to the ground, finishing the area by taking out bases and
vehicles on the ground. Might go underground in some cases as well; caves and
massive underground complexes.

> Through listening to your tracks I discovered Martin Walker writes for and
> runs the SoS forums now - I had no idea!

Cool! Didn't know that either, actually - but it seems like he's trying to
forget about the C64 days. I can understand that, but still... :-/

--
//David Olofson - Consultant, Developer, Artist, Open Source Advocate
.--- Games, examples, libraries, scripting, sound, music, graphics ---.