Re: [LAU] Fairlight

From: Gene Heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 24 2012 - 22:41:30 EEST

On Wednesday 24 October 2012 15:37:31 Patrick Shirkey did opine:

> [...]
> >
> > studio, should not be missing on the road. Copy your VST plugins from
> >
> > MS Windows onto your instrument and load them with the dedicated VST
> > control interface, directly from the touchscreen.
> >
> > Analogue to any other sound engine in your instrument, your
> >
> > VSTi plugins are assigned to the instrument's patch selector pads,
> > allowing to switch among your VST instruments quckly during your live
> > performance.
> >
> > Besides the virtual instruments, you can assign a chain of
> >
> > VST effect plugins to each instrument. When switching among your VST
> > instruments, the respective chains of VST effects are automatically
> > restored along to the virtual instrument."
> > and also ASIO applications from Windows:
> > "
> > Windows ASIO applications
> >
> > Even though the Lionstracs instruments are not MS Windows
> >
> > computers, they can host all your Windows audio applications for you.
> > This is especially handy for virtual studio tools that are not
> > available
> >
> > as VST plugins. Thanks to an efficient implementation of the ASIO
> > audio interface standard, your ASIO applications can even reach
> > lower
> >
> > latencies on the Groove OS than under MS Windows.
> >
> > Each Lionstracs instrument provides 10 ASIO app hosts, that
> >
> > is you can run up to ten Windows ASIO apps simultaniously and
> > immediately switch among them during live performance with the
> > instrument selector pads on the touch screen and by the sound selector
> > buttons on the chassis. All MIDI and audio connections to your ASIO
> > application are automatically established by the Groove OS for you, so
> > your favourite Windows audio applications are automaticallly,
> > seamlessly
> >
> > integrated into the overall system of your Lionstracs instrument,
> >
> > allowing them to utilize all features of your Lionstracs instrument,
> > e.g. applying the builtin audio effects.
> >
> > Integrating another Windows ASIO application in your
> >
> > instrument, doesn't need more than copying the software onto your
> > instrument and selecting the executable (.exe) file from the dedicated
> > ASIO control interface, again directly by the integrated touchscreen."
> > From: http://www.lionstracs.com/groove/
> > Surely there is no way they can truly claim to be able to handle all
> > and everything when nobody else seems to have managed that at home.
> > Leaving themselves open for lawsuits of false advertising??
>
> Are there any people or companies that would undertake a lawsuit over
> this claim?
>
> If that was the case 90% of music hardware advertising in the past 30
> years would be liable for action because of exaggerated claims.
>
> Or to put it another way the bar for marketing BS in the audio hardware
> and software industry has been set pretty high by other companies over
> the past 30 years or so why point the finger at companies that claim to
> provide full support for VST plugins on Linux based systems?

While I'm 100% in agreement Patrick, I'll have to confess that my first
thought was the question of a GPL violation. Fairlight or Farlight has if
my memory can be trusted, a rep for keeping their code locked well away
from prying eyes even when it was running on some M68k hardware that looked
a lot like a big box amiga.

I'll get me coat...

> --
> Patrick Shirkey
> Boost Hardware Ltd

Cheers, Gene

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
It would be illogical to assume that all conditions remain stable.
		-- Spock, "The Enterprise Incident", stardate 5027.3