Re: [LAU] Fairlight

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 25 2012 - 01:15:35 EEST

On Thu, October 25, 2012 8:55 am, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 1:28 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>> Not much has changed in 20 years then I'd have to say. And, I'd guess
>> that
>> to effect any real, draw a line in the sand results, that query should
>> probably come from the FSF, whom I think has power of attorney over 99%
>> of
>> the kernel code and libraries. But we both know that Aussie companies
>> tend
>> to do their own thing and may need to be prodded gently by the AU office
>> of
>> the FSF if there is such a thing.
>
> Yes, sending FSF after a company would bring astonishing results. You
> could also use hunting dogs, just for the fun of it.

My suggestion is to take ownership of the issue and only involve the FSF
if we as a community feel there is a severe breach. The Consortium was
originally setup to handle things like this and as far as I know is still
prepared to take on that responsibility if the need arise.

> It looks like Fairlight created an account at Github in March (without
> public repositories so far):
>
> https://github.com/fairlightinstruments

Fairlight Instruments is not Fairlight :-)

> They could be up to something or maybe not. In any case,

Peter Vogel Instruments (nee Fairlight Instruments) is definitely up to
something.

> I'd hate to
> be part of a community that initiates a conversation with legal
> matters.

What are you scared of? That people might start arguing with each other?

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd