Re: [LAU] OT: New i7 rig, Gfx card recomendations and more.

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 27 2012 - 23:19:39 EEST

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:46:49 +0000 Kaza Kore <dj_kaza@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:
> TL/DR:
> Z68 - works with RAID5 on SATA2 ports OK?
> RME HDSP card - PCI or PCIe?
> Gfx card recommendations??
> Or persuade me to go for a cheaper rig as I probably don't really
> need all that...
>
> Regards, Dale.

Regarding the raid5:
http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/

And we (as the business I work for) have dismissed hw-raid in general.
A while back you only got problems if your controller broke and you
didn't have the same again. Nowadays you even get problems when you
update the firmware of the controller (or when your cold-standby
doesn't have the correct fw-version). Just stay away from it.

For the Mobo: Use something from a brand known for quality. Asus might
do okayish laptops, their boards are almost as crap as asrock. For an
intel-system, why not use an intel board? The higher price is _small_
when you take the higher quality into account. High-quality boards
last much longer and work better.

PCI is dead, any graphics card with linux-support is good. Now the
salesman in me takes over: intel is actively supporting the
linux-community also in the graphics field, not like nvidia. Yes, we
are an intel-reseller. We only see other hardware when its broken and
the customers want us to fix it or get the data of from it.

Have fun,

Arnold