Re: [LAU] debian wheezy vs pulseaudio vs jackdbus

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 30 2012 - 07:51:51 EET

On Tue, October 30, 2012 4:26 pm, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
> 2012/10/30 Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>

>> what's

>> loaded

>> > On ubuntu (which normally uses debian src packages), The module name
>> is
>> > module-jackdbus-detect. I don't think I have seen a module called
>> > module-jackdbus-connect even on the pulse site.
>> >
>> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/Modules#JACK_Connectivity
>> >

>> You got the gist...
>>
>> > Even if jackd comes with dbus support, it can be started without. so
>> use
>> > ps x or similar to check that the running app is jackdbus and not
>> jackd.
>>
>> There is no jackdbus on debian wheezy, just "jackd" or "jackd2".
>

> jackdbus is in debian wheezy and it comes with jackd2 package.
>
> http://packages.debian.org/search?suite=wheezy&arch=any&mode=path&searchon=contents&keywords=jackdbus

You're correct. When I looked yesterday I had jackd and jackd2. Today I
have jackd and jackdbus instead.

No wonder people get confused about how to get this stuff working.

What possible reason is there to have jackd and jackd2 *or* jackd and
jackdbus ?

The former must be for jack1 package and the later for the jack2 package
but why would there even be a jackd2 option for the jack1 package? It's
completely redundant.

And why isn't a jackd2 option installed with the jack2 package?

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd