Re: [LAU] Envy24Control is missing the Analog Volume tab - need guidance...

From: Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 05 2012 - 22:51:13 EET

On November 5, 2012 06:59:12 AM you wrote:

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 4:19 AM, Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

His converters are external. Does ALSA know how to work with
 such converters? I'll read a bit more tomorrow. I bet some better answers
 will appear here though...

external converters are invisible to ALSA, just as they are to CoreAudio or
any other audio API. they exist on the "far side" of the device being
controlled by the driver, and only exist as far as the driver is concerned in
an indirect sense - they might control word clock-driven sample rate, for
example.

Thanks Paul.
Wow that's a bummer. No external converters?

Is there no mechanism to set the converter levels other than hard-coded hacks?
Could this be solved be someone writing a userspace app to do it,
 or is this more of a core ALSA problem which would need wider fixing?

Thanks.
Tim.