Re: [LAU] Envy24Control is missing the Analog Volume tab - need guidance...

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 06 2012 - 00:23:05 EET

On Mon, November 5, 2012 12:51 pm, Tim E. Real wrote:

> Wow that's a bummer. No external converters?
>
> Is there no mechanism to set the converter levels other than hard-coded
> hacks?
> Could this be solved be someone writing a userspace app to do it,
> or is this more of a core ALSA problem which would need wider fixing?

Just downloaded and looked at the manual for the unit. The outputs are
auto patched on power up but the inputs are not, the driver is expected to
do that It seems. The unit is listed on the alsa page as something that
should work or is known... so it is a matter of figuring it out. It seems
that there are no adc or dac volume controls even with the windows
drivers. What may be confusing is that the internal card includes an ac97
set of things and that does have volume controls.

So, The volume controls for the inputs and outputs are preset full up (0db
if you like). The outputs are connected by default, the inputs are not.
Either envy24control/mudita or alsa should show the patches to be
connected somewhere. as it appears that the ice1712 driver does not do
this for you. Any input that is connected _should_ show the light on the
external box.

So the next question would be... what tabs are there in mudita with this
device?

As an interesting side note, the manual says what we have all found out
with the ice1712 units and irqs. "It should be unshared if possible,
because the DSP24 is a busmaster device ... otherwise you might get
performance problems."

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net