Re: [LAU] Requirements for huge multitrack editing

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 12 2012 - 22:19:48 EET

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 02:17:03PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> with no plugins, it would be hard to buy a computer today that could *not*
> handle editing that session.

True. I've been doing 30-track editing on a P4 system with 512 MB
memory, no problem at all, Ardour handled that very well. That was
just editing, mixing with a lot of plugins etc. could be another
matter.

The *only* case when I've seen it fail was strangely enough when
recording just a single stereo track on a dual quad-core machine
with 4GB of memory. Input was coming from firefox playing a Youtube
video, routed via ALSA's Jack plugin, and recording failed repeatedly
with 'your hard disk was not fast enough' messages. Yet that same
system does 80-track sessions without a wink. So I'm pretty sure
firefox is the one to blame here.

Ciao,

--
FA