Re: [LAU] New Computer - Wooo!

From: Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 19 2012 - 10:25:43 EET

2012/11/18 Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>:
> Someone asked about A series AMD machines a while ago. I kept quiet because I
> was in the process of getting one. Here is the spec:
>
> MBO ASUS® F2A55-M LE
> CPU AMD A8-5600K Quad Core APU (3.6GHz) & Radeon™ HD 7560D Graphics
> MEM 4GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz
> SDA 120GB INTEL® 330 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s '/' & /home'
> SDB 180GB INTEL® 330 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s '/audio' & '/source'
>
> I've now spent a few days getting it exactly as I want it. I made very few BIOS
> changes. I disabled serial and parallel ports (the machine doesn't have them
> anyway) and set the CPU to 'performance'. Initially I disabled the on-board
> sound as I'm using my trusty 2496. But I got occasional boot oddities so
> re-enabled it.
>
> I installed a minimal debian-squeeze without any problems at all, then just
> added the software I wanted. This was a bit harder than I expected as my notes
> from last time were not complete, and going from Linux 2.6 to 3.1 meant there
> were subtle differences, especially with stuff I had to compile.
>
> The machine is very, very responsive and almost completely silent. The PSU has
> a slow running 120mm fan and the cooler on the CPU looks like something from a
> space lab!
>
> With the stock 3.1 kernel I'm running at a latency of 5.8mS with no x-runs even
> when going full steam on Rosegarden (with audio tracks) and Yoshimi. Sequencer
> + synth playing of complex material that used to peak at around 70% total
> processor, now peaks at around 20%!
>
> I did try the 3.2 kernel, both stock and RT but both of these actually
> performed far worse, and I had to run with a latency of 23.2mS to get clear of
> x-runs.
>
> My old computer has been re-purposed as a (rather fast) office machine, so that
> involved a lot of file swapping and checking that nothing was missed.
>

> Now, I suppose I'd better get on and compose some music :)

Really cool, AMD does wonders but I must say that ATI Radeon sucks here...
It works, but everytime I do an upgrade I start to sweat, quite often
the card "dies" and I have to login from another machine with ssh,
kill X, unload and reload the kernel module.

Wish you good luck :-)

-r

PS: for the sake of knowledge, debian wheezy here

--
L'unica speranza di catarsi, ammesso che ne esista una, resta affidata
all'istinto di ribellione, alla rivolta non isterilita in progetti,