Re: [LAU] looking for command-line/scriptable mastering software

From: J. Liles <malnourite@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 25 2012 - 23:51:26 EET

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Grekim <grekimj@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> **
> Sorry it was taken in an insulting way. I have a lot of respect for what
> you guys have done and do. I would gladly pay (you) for software that is
> relevant to me.
>
> I don't think the code is a mess at all. It runs very efficiently...I had
> to master an 18 minute track and it did the processing and file creating in
> around 20 seconds. Sure, I could break things off into more functions and
> name variables more descriptively.
>
> I know it will not make money, but some of the effects, however, may be
> sellable as AU or VST plug-ins. Still, I'd rather just focus on Linux
> development.
>
> If my software is irrelevant than no one should care about the source
> code, no?
>
> If your feelings are pretty much the general feeling here then I will go.
>
> Grekim

My desire isn't that you leave, it's that you become a part of the
community by sharing your code. People are offering you expert advice in
this thread, but you offer nothing to the community in return. Your binary
is nothing; it's ephemeral, it's an artifact of the code you keep hidden .
There is no future in your closed-source software. People don't want to
invest their time in working with a tool they they aren't allowed to
understand or fix when it breaks. You may appear willing to fix/improve it
now, but how long will that last? When you accept advice or request
feedback without sharing your code, you come off as a parasite--and I'm
tired of hearing about this software (much as I'm tired of hearing about
mixbus, reaper, etc.)

Certainly, there are people on this list who do not really care about
freedom, but there are practical concerns as well as philosophical
ones--freeware does not inspire confidence.