Re: [LAU] looking for command-line/scriptable mastering software

From: Grekim <grekimj@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 26 2012 - 05:13:22 EET

On 11/25/2012 04:51 PM, J. Liles wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Grekim <grekimj@email-addr-hidden
> <mailto:grekimj@email-addr-hidden>> wrote:
>
> Sorry it was taken in an insulting way. I have a lot of respect
> for what you guys have done and do. I would gladly pay (you) for
> software that is relevant to me.
>
> I don't think the code is a mess at all. It runs very
> efficiently...I had to master an 18 minute track and it did the
> processing and file creating in around 20 seconds. Sure, I could
> break things off into more functions and name variables more
> descriptively.
>
> I know it will not make money, but some of the effects, however,
> may be sellable as AU or VST plug-ins. Still, I'd rather just
> focus on Linux development.
>
> If my software is irrelevant than no one should care about the
> source code, no?
>
> If your feelings are pretty much the general feeling here then I
> will go.
>
> Grekim
>

> My desire isn't that you leave, it's that you become a part of the
> community by sharing your code. People are offering you expert advice
> in this thread, but you offer nothing to the community in return. Your
> binary is nothing; it's ephemeral, it's an artifact of the code you
> keep hidden . There is no future in your closed-source software.
> People don't want to invest their time in working with a tool they
> they aren't allowed to understand or fix when it breaks. You may
> appear willing to fix/improve it now, but how long will that last?
> When you accept advice or request feedback without sharing your code,
> you come off as a parasite--and I'm tired of hearing about this
> software (much as I'm tired of hearing about mixbus, reaper, etc.)
>
> Certainly, there are people on this list who do not really care about
> freedom, but there are practical concerns as well as philosophical
> ones--freeware does not inspire confidence.

Indeed that is alluring, that your code can live on long after you do
:) That is the selfish side of things. The unselfish side is, of
course, that we all share and benefit from each other and code
potentially moves along at a faster pace.
I do not so much fear sharing with the community here, but it's the
"outside" world that can freely steel your code that bothers me, and in
some cases it really is a formula you might be giving away.
I will give open-source some serious consideration and it honestly may
not happen for awhile. In the meantime, I will refrain from making any
further announcements or leaving any impression of promoting my work.