Re: [LAU] looking for command-line/scriptable mastering software

From: Gene Heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 26 2012 - 00:59:20 EET

On Sunday 25 November 2012 17:35:35 Ralf Mardorf did opine:

> On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 21:02 +0000, Folderol wrote:
> > On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 21:52:12 +0100
> >
> > Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:

> > > +1
> > >
> > > We are living in a free world. I prefer open source, but if somebody
> > > has what ever reason not to open the source code, I can decide if
> > > I'll use it or not, no need for that noise.
> >
> > It's something that people can get quite heated about :(
> >
> > Personally, I prefer stuff with the source available (just in case) -
> > although I'll probably hardly give it a glance. To persuade me
> > otherwise, an application would have to be really exceptional and
> > quite unique.
>
> I can't agree more :). And now I'll stop my noise ;).
>
> For drivers we sometimes have no choice.

I stayed out of this one till now because I don't have a dog in this fight,
but I'll give Fons a +1. A well worded, well thought out answer.

However if our driver isn't up to it, but yours does make a perceived
contribution, then having access to the source means that a few more sets
of eyeballs can walk around in it, and 15 days later our driver is the one
taking names and kicking butt.

We generally are a likable bunch, with the inevitable differences of
opinion inherent in any group of more than one. But there is a sig line
I'm seeing more and more of:

"If you can't fix it, then you don't own it."

And TBT, at my age, I am not capable of fixing it unless the error is a: in
a language I understand, and b, slap you in the face obviously wrong. I
know just enough C to be dangerous, and do the majority of my programming
in assembly on much smaller machines than this one.

No amount of cash changing hands will ever change that. We are well aware
that the GPL is a double edged sword that boils down to you can't charge
more than the media & a couple bucks for your time to copy it for it, and
if you change someone elses code, you are legally to give those changes
back to anyone who has a copy of the original obtained by legal means. So
you can't 'hide it under a basket' and expect to get much more than a very
cursory look from 90% of us.

I'll get me coat now.

> Regards,
> Ralf

Cheers, Gene

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Fifth Law of Procrastination:
	Procrastination avoids boredom; one never has the feeling that
	there is nothing important to do.