Re: [LAU] Rock album produced with Linux

From: Carlos sanchiavedraz <csanchezgs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 07 2012 - 19:09:35 EET

2012/12/7 Tom Szilagyi <tomszilagyi@email-addr-hidden>:
> Hi all,
>
> I am pleased to announce the album Decline recently completed and
> released by my side-project rockband called Submareen. This is a real
> band playing real instruments (no synthesized sounds at all,
> everything recorded thru mics), mostly in the classic rock style. The
> whole album (9 tracks, 51 minutes) comprises original music written by
> the band. The album was recorded and produced using Linux, for the
> most part Ardour 2 with 'mixing in the box' done with LinuxDSP, IR and
> some TAP plugins. Recorded, edited and mixed within Ardour in 44.1k /
> 24bit. A separate "mastering session" with the 24-bit track mixes was
> setup with the LinuxDSP multi band compressor and TAP scaling limiter
> as mastering processors to produce the final audio, dithered to 16
> bits via the Ardour exporting process. A cue file was made with
> gcdmaster and the master audio file was cut in tracks via shnsplit to
> obtain the final CD tracks.
>
> You can give it a complete (128kbps quality) listen at:
> http://music.submareen.net
>
> Some additional information regarding its production is available on
> the band's website at:
> http://submareen.net
>
> In case you have any questions regarding the recording, production,
> mixing or whatever, I'm happy to answer them. Comments are also
> welcome.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Tom

Hello Tom.

It sounds really nice, did you record it entirely on your rehearsal
room or in a studio? What mics?

I would say, just to add some constructive critics, that maybe would
be nice to add some more depth and EQ to voices and some solos, just
not to be in-your-face. But maybe it was your intention.

--
Carlos sanchiavedraz
* Musix GNU+Linux