Re: [LAU] Avantgarde bizarre rock made with Linux: Sebkha-Chott Ne[XXX]t Epilog + Video Clip

From: Aurelien <tyranorl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 10 2012 - 12:58:47 EET

Hi Dan,

I thought I already had answered, but it looks like not.

On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 03:24:46PM +0000, Dan MacDonald wrote :
> Hi Aurelien!
>
> Great to see your new album get its digital liberation! I gave it a once
> over on the weekend and I thought Phial Shapes was the best track but I
> agree with Julien in rating Sabra y Shatila as another highlight. Sorry I
> can't comment more right now - I need to give it another listen at least.

Héhé! Nice already, thank you.

> Secret Chiefs 3 and ApaTt are / have just been doing a euro tour but mainly
> France - I was very tempted to cross the channel to see them again as its
> been a year now since I last had the pleasure. Did SC go watch SC3?

Unfortunately, we couldn't, though we're in contact with their booker.
Hope to catch them one day, for sure!

> Last month I went to watch Knifeworld, one of the current bands of
> latter-day Cardiacs guitarist Kavus Torabi (you like Cardiacs right?).

I just heard of them on a festival we were playing at and so did they,
but they finally had to cancel their tour (diseases, if I remind well).

I should take an ear, for sure (I'm going to do this just after this
mail).

> got talking to him, he's a really nice guy and he introduced me to a
> fantastic modern English prog band who are signed to his label called
> thumpermonkey - check 'em out! I'm sure Q and Julien would be impressed too
> - in fact anyone into virtuoso electric guitar should give 'em a listen.

Yeah, sure I will!

> I wholeheartedly share your opinion on Dreamtheatre - pretty appropriate
> name as that stuff just sends me to sleep!

Héhé!

> I'm recording an album with my new band currently which we expect to finish
> in the next month or two but its not prog.They've not yet had their Linux
> audio initiation yet although I have warned them its inevitable and they
> seem to be up for it :) Everything so far has been recorded on a Korg 16
> track.

Hey! Sure they will find Linux fine.

Once again, though several in here (and at other places) find GNU/Linux
a not-to-be-used solution, or not in "professionnal places", or not in
live, or not by non-geek users, I just think the exact opposite, and
what I'm doing right now in Sebkha-Chott or other AMMD projects wouldn't
be possible without jack (or perhaps with Live + Max MSP, but I really
prefer to use softwares build by people having application developpment
skills than crappy PD/Max MSP prototyping by musicians!).

See you.

> [...]
> > by other (sources are also available, see below). The idea comes both
> > from Frank Zappa and the way he re-used his material several times, in
> > different contexts, and from Antoine Moreau (one of Free Art License
> > co-writers) who thinks the art as a stream, and the art pieces as
> > snapshots of it.
> >
> > So, the digital version, freshly released is nothing but the v1.1 of the
> > Ne[XXX]t Epilog, the v1.0 being the physical edition (that we won't
> > publish digitally, but it's free art, so...).
> >
> > It already is 10 minutes longer (90 minutes) than the previous version,
> > and in that way digital distribution is fun, as we don't have duration
> > limitation!!
> >
> > Sources for this album should be found on Spider Jessica's website[3], but
> > we have some problems with it, and it's actually not in a working state,
> > so if you want to be a bêta-tester, just ask. Sources are ardour files,
> > versionned using git and git-annex with the ardour-git[4] tool I told you
> > once.
> >
> > [3] http://spiderjessica.org
> > [4] https://github.com/AMMD/ardour-git
> >
> > One last word to credit the softwares that were used on this album:
> > Jack, ALSA, FFADO, Ardour2, Non-mixer, seq24, Alsa Modular Synth,
> > Tapeutape, Mididings, PureData, Ghislame, LADSPA/LV2 plugins (many,
> > can't list them, but including Tape Delay Simulation as a must have!!),
> > Ladish and associated tools. Debian GNU/Linux was the main OS,
> > alongside with TangoStudio for several things.
> >

> > 2. *New Video Clip* Nigla[h] I
> > When releasing the album on 22nd of September 2012, we also released a
> > new video clip, based on the tune Nigla[h] I from the Ne[XXX]t Epilog.
> > You might look or get this clip from the band's website[5], or from
> > youtube[6].
> >
> > [5] http://sebkhachott.net/spip/?Nigla-h-I-OFFICIAL-Wideo-Clip
> > [6] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cD2A6t-n4k
> >
> > (16 minutes in 720p, don't know where you live, but it might last a bit
> > to dl it!)
> >
> > This clip has been realised using: kdenlive, lives, frei0r plugins.
> > Debian GNU/Linux was used as OS.
> >

> > 3. *New Tour*
> > We'll be on tour with our Totalizm show (the one including 5 Debian
> > stations to operate all sounds/monitors/processing and lights/VJ-ing +
> > synchronization) from April to June in Europe. Don't hesitate to contact
> > orl@email-addr-hidden if you want to get us playing by you, or if you have places
> > to advice to us!
> >

> > 4. Sure our website[7] is a bit weird (actually, our music is wuite
> > weird too, hu), but it's now fully translated in English, so don't
> > hesitate to visit, and discover many many files (audio, video, photos),
> > all free art, and so on...
> >
> > [7] http://www.sebkhachott.net
> >
> > And if you want to get informed a bit more regrlaruly, and in a bit more
> > funny way, just ask me to add you to Sebkha-Chott's newsletter.

Aurélien