Re: [LAU] Wav loop points

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 11 2012 - 17:29:53 EET

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012, Louigi Verona wrote:

> *Wrote this some time ago to the list, never got a reply. Now looking
> through the archives, I don't see this mail at all. I did attach a
> file, so maybe it was filtered. This is why I am duplicating this.*
>
> Hey fellas!
>
> I notice that no Linux samplers seem to support wav file loop points.
> All Windows DAWs that I have used support the format and there are a
> lot of samples out there with perfect loop points which is very
> useful. I have no idea whether this is part of the spec or not but
> these looppoints have been used for more than 15 years, that's for
> sure, since some of these sample collections have been around during
> tracking days. I did find something on loops here:
> http://www.sonicspot.com/guide/wavefiles.html But I think you, devs,
> know better than me anyway.
>
> I think it would be great if LMMS, samplers like Petri-Foo would
> support this, as this adds a lot of functionality. Many sample
> collections provide perfect loops and it is tiresome to have to try to
> remake it by hand each time, while in some software it is simply
> impossible at all.

Don't know about LMMS, but Petri-Foo and Specimen do handle loop points.
If you set "Playback" to "Loop" on the Sample tab (the first tab, the
one that shows a picture of your sample's waveform), you can then
double-click on the waveform display window and get a dialog to come up
that gives quite a lot of control over setting the loop points for that
sample. There are some videos on YouTube that demo this -- search for
"Specimen sampler" there.

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky