Re: [LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 22 2012 - 19:19:11 EET

On Sat, December 22, 2012 7:42 am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-12-22 at 14:58 +0000, John Murphy wrote:
>> Synth manufacturers: Why no ADAT out?
>
> Would be nice for homestudios today, assumed there would be cheap cards
> with several ADAT inputs. My RME card only has got one ADAT, that btw.
> does not work with Linux.
>
> OTOH even for my homestudio I like to use an analog mixer, for sure my
> homestudio mixer has got drawbacks, but I can't see (or should I say
> hear? ;) any drawback for professional analog mixers.
>
> I don't have experiences with professional digital mixers, but they
> should have enough analog inputs with a good quality too.
>
> IMO ADAT for synth for pro audio isn't needed.

It would remove two conversions from the stream. Nothing against analog
mixers, but starting with digital, converting to analog and then back to
digital has got to loose something. On the other hand it could be a pain
having digital audio coming in at 48k on a 44.1k or 96k project. I am sure
the synth has one internal sample rate and to add more would mean
resampling to make it sound right.

The problem with ADAT is that it came from the ADAT (no kiddin') and is
seen as a 8track street. What would make it a lot more useful (and
expensive?) is that every adat unit would do through work. So a 2 channel
adat IF would have an adat in and allow routing however many tracks come
in around its own tracks. So in the case above with the 6 channel synth
there should be an adat in where two more channels could be routed to
7+8.... But that is not part of the spec.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net