Re: [LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 23 2012 - 05:21:31 EET

On Sat, December 22, 2012 1:16 pm, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-12-22 at 13:00 -0800, Len Ovens wrote:
>> I also have a tube pre made by ART that has more control.
>
> When I was a friend of Dirk Brauner and I worked for his manufactory (we
> are from the same school, played in the same bands, before he falls out
> with our clique), we recommended the elCheapo ART tube devices. They are
> used by professional studios, in combination with the VM1. At least the
> old ART tube thingy, I guess it's from the 90s, isn't a toy, it's a very
> good pre amp.

Mine is an ART USBDualTubePre. I got it as a USB IF for my netbook. but it
has s/pdif out at 24bit that I pump into my D66 (the USB is only 16bit).
It sounds nicer than the Mackie preamps. I run as a hobby so things are
low end. The mic that goes with it is an AT2020. It sounds way better than
any of my dynamics, but I would guess it would hardly be called "pro". So
I have 6 inputs, but the reality is that I would likely never use them
all. Most of the time one input is enough... If I am recording an external
synth it might be two. At one time, when I was using 8track tape, I would
sync off of track 8 to a qx5 (sequencer) and mix synths and drums live.
Now it seems CPU power is cheaper than more inputs and the softsynths are
pretty nice. I still like the DX7 keyboard though. It feels nice to me,
but then I am not a piano player :)

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net