Re: [LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

From: John Murphy <rosegardener@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 23 2012 - 16:50:20 EET

On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 20:57:33 -0500, Thomas Vecchione wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 9:58 AM, John Murphy <rosegardener@email-addr-hiddenwrote:
>
> > As a newcomer to the "Pro Audio" industry and a long time *nix user
> > (somewhat mitigating this outburst here) I must say I'm not impressed.
> >
> > I've spent thousands recently and found suppliers either just don't
> > 'know' the products they sell, or purposely misrepresent them. In one
> > instance it took nearly a month to obtain a refund!
> >

> You need to get better suppliers then. Can't help you on your side of the
> pond, but I can tell you there is a huge difference on my side of the pond
> between most stores and suppliers.

It may even be simpler than that. I should stop immediately snapping up
a bargain and always check that the item is as advertised, before paying.

> > Why must I have so many microphone inputs? I'm a solo poet/musician
> > with one mic. and enough places to plug it in to sink a battleship.
> >

> You don't need to get that many mic inputs unless you want them. There are
> multiple interfaces I can think of with 2 or less mic inputs but still
> having ADAT or multiple line inputs. And of course there are numerous 2
> channel or so interfaces.

I may have just found something more suitable than I've seen before. Eight
line level inputs to one ADAT with word clock in/out in half rack width.
Pretty reasonable price too. SMPro Q-ADAT.

> > Synth manufacturers: Why no ADAT out?
> >

> Korg Triton, as an example, years ago had it. I liked the concept, in
> reality it very rarely got used, thus why it likely got removed(Pure
> assumption on my part). For gigging musicians, it means savings thousands
> of dollars on AD/DA conversion, for studio musicians many are switching to
> controllers and computer based synths or using analog synths.

Was it an option for the Triton? I've seen little boards for the rack version
at $400. Alesis Quadrasynths had it, of course.

--
John.