Re: [LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

From: Florian Faber <faber@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 23 2012 - 19:14:41 EET

On 12/23/2012 04:02 PM, John Murphy wrote:

> Must be just an inefficient PSU design I guess.

Well, you get what you pay for. You can pretty much forget the
efficiency factor of cheap chinese PSU modules. And yes, this crap is
also built in high priced devices where you don't expect them.

> Digital conversion
> isn't a particularly power demanding process is it? I'll investigate
> after the holiday (or maybe even during if I get my way :)).

It depends on the efficiency of the analogue layout and the reference
voltage. I know mic preamp designs with 0.5W/channel and with
4W/channel. A good thermal design is very important because it allows
high channels counts in stage boxes without fans.

Flo

--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key B3B9226C          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net