Re: [LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Thu Dec 27 2012 - 15:27:38 EET

On Mon, 2012-12-24 at 16:25 +0100, SxDx wrote:
> > From: "Fons Adriaensen" <fons@email-addr-hidden>
> >
> > What sets a violins like a Stradivarius or a Guadagnini apart from
> > others is that they have the right combination of these properties,
> > one that is musically pleasing.
>
> What about http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/01/02/1114999109.abstract ?
> The study was criticized (eg. http://www.violinist.com/blog/laurie/20121/13039/)
> but still, people today build violins and some professional players like
> those new ones, just like they like the old stuff.
>
> That said I'm sure a violin 10,000 euros is way better than a 100 euros one.
> But from there to "a stradivarius is way better than what violin makers of
> today build" (if that's what you meant), there is a lot of hype and magic
> thinking involved, which is very surprising from you.

If wood gets old, it often does sound better. I experienced this for two
guitars I own. It might be that old does sound better, OTOH I guess
modern violin makers can buy old wood. Since not everybody is willing to
pay for a Stradivarius (or a good fake ;), while people die of hunger on
this planet, I heard about modern violin makers who should make violins,
that are wanted as a Stradivarius.

Rich people often get original guitars from the 70s, original amps from
the 70s, but they are unable to play guitar, they start to learn. Most
significant are the musicians abilities. Some time ago Robin quoted
something from the film "Step Across the Border". I don't know what he
quoted, but I remember a black man playing with drumsticks on buckets.

If you know how to play buckets, they can sound much better than a very
good drum set, played by an averaged drummer.

Btw. homestudio recordings can sound professional, if you make the
quirks of the gear, part of your composition.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Regards,
Ralf