Re: [LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

From: SxDx <sed@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 24 2012 - 17:25:02 EET

> From: "Fons Adriaensen" <fons@email-addr-hidden>
>
> What sets a violins like a Stradivarius or a Guadagnini apart from
> others is that they have the right combination of these properties,
> one that is musically pleasing.

What about http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/01/02/1114999109.abstract ?
The study was criticized (eg. http://www.violinist.com/blog/laurie/20121/13039/)
but still, people today build violins and some professional players like
those new ones, just like they like the old stuff.

That said I'm sure a violin 10,000 euros is way better than a 100 euros one.
But from there to "a stradivarius is way better than what violin makers of
today build" (if that's what you meant), there is a lot of hype and magic
thinking involved, which is very surprising from you.