Re: [LAU] [OT] a record created on a 3d printer

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 03 2013 - 16:02:54 EET

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 09:34:18 +0100 Jörn Nettingsmeier
<nettings@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> check this out:
>
> http://www.instructables.com/id/3D-Printed-Record/
>
> the sound quality is quite bad, but it turns out the author neglected
> to apply the RIAA curve to the master before rendering the groove, so
> it could be made to sound much better. but that's not really the
> point :)

Be aware that this (sadly) is with a 30k printer, the accuracy of the
1k$ printers for home is not yet up to that. But what if one printed a
record with deeper and bigger grooves at home and also printed a
fitting needle? Add a nice membrane and a horn and you get your own
record-player...

> reminds me of a band i heard of in the 80s (forgot the name) who
> released a single which, if recorded to some data cassette format,
> would yield a computer game...

Now this makes me feel older than you are, but this is what I got from
people wh remember the times (where they really there if they remember
it?):

There where radio-stations sending out programs (as computer-programs)
to record and then use on your C64. And I believe also some TV-shows
sending a black-and-white box in a corner which was binary code...

A band distributing a game via vinyl was probably one of the slowest
distribution ways even at that time without the global internets.

On the other hand: what would happen if one uses vmlinuz and initrd as
raw-input for lame and then back to 'wave' with mpg123?

Have fun,

Arnold