Re: [LAU] I need to catalogue wave file regions.

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 11 2013 - 18:05:10 EET

On Thursday 10 January 2013 18:14:59 John Murphy wrote:
> As far as I know there isn't anything available for Linux which has
> the sole purpose of marking and cataloguing (.wav) sound file regions.
>
> I don't know of anything on another platform which does it either.

It is not exactly what you are looking for but do you know about transcriber?

http://trans.sourceforge.net/en/presentation.php

"transcriber - tool to transcribe speech using text (transcriber)"

"transcriber is a graphical tool that allows to segment a long speech files
easily, and to transcribe the litterally spoken text, and indicate speaker
turns and topics."

> I need to:
>
> 1) Look at and zoom in on mostly quite big wav files circa 1.3GB,

You can look at and zoom in on audio files. I haven't tested how large they
can be.

> to find sections/regions which are particularly musical,
> or informative, and mark and name them for later access.
> Only a few fields of information would be necessary.
>
> 2) Compile a 'play list' of regions to be played, while displaying
> configurable fields of the details entered.

Perhaps it can serve as a base for what you want.

I was doing some non-related playlist stuff (edl type stuff for hour long
audio files) a while back but the details are fuzzy right now.

> That's it really, although I have some particular demands for controls
> which would aid my work-flow. I've got used to using a really old Windows
> program, which isn't really suitable for the job, but I manage. No JACK
> ability there though of course.
>
> I think it needs writing, if it is not already written. Anyone know
> something like that?
>
> Functionally; it would be a bit like a DVD authoring application and
> I wondered if I should contact the authors of Bonobo or similar. Main
> difference being source material could be anywhere on the file system.
> Compilations could be prepared for writing to CD perhaps, but mainly -
> it would be used to create compilations to play on the computer. Perhaps
> Version 2 could even generate pleasant musical programs with just a few
> hints from user. ;)
>
> I don't have time to learn programming, but I do try to support those
> who can write, and I'd do so if someone was willing to write it for me/us.
>
> Any advice would be most appreciated, thanks.

all the best,

drew