Re: [LAU] ffmpeg or libav

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 13 2013 - 18:47:42 EET

On Sat, January 12, 2013 1:40 am, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> On Saturday 12 January 2013 10:19:59 Rustom Mody wrote:
>> Ive seen some postings here recently recommending ffmpeg, so I thought
>> I'd
>> ask this (somewhat political) question:

>> [Sorry for asking a political question]

Hmm, from reading this (getting to be very long) thread, this is not
politics or copyright or anything else but personalities. Some people just
never grow up. Some of the very best coders, who have a passion for their
software, are also hard to get along with. (I've been that way) It seems
many of these forks are merely an attempt to remove difficult people.
These people then get replaced by other difficult people or people who
really don't have the passion for that SW anyway. I'm surprised
(pleasantly) the same thing hasn't happened with the kernel.

Yes I have spend time reading the stories from both sides on various sites
as well as here. Those sites make it sound worse and less reasonable. Lots
of "ass covering" that has no place in a SW community like the open SW
community should be. Sometimes to get really good SW one has to put up
with an author who has qwirks. If you want your own version, fine, but
call it what it is and don't claim to be something you're not. Sometimes
an outside view should be looked at ... and in this case, I think the
libav people who find that outside people would not agree they have the
right to call ffmpeg their project or to call ffmpeg obsolete. No matter
how many of their devs originally came from ffmpeg. They have already
admitted this fact by called their SW something else. The dev who made the
ffmpeg logo should give his head a shake, he made the logo while a part of
the ffmpeg team for ffmpeg. When he left ffmpeg he leaves that behind.
Talk about being too close to the forest to see the trees.

Anyway, just my feelings (more than opinion in some ways) on things. Funny
how when I work for money I am willing to put up with all kinds of
strangeness, but in my hobbies I would be so picky about how someone combs
their hair.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net